Thursday, April 28, 2011

Breakfast

Finally its my turn to bring breakfast to work. After 8 long weeks of donuts, breakfast sandwiches and the occasional bagel I'm ready to cook. After much deliberation I decided to cook a large breakfast style casserole.

I found a recipe on epicurious.com, "Cowboy Christmas Breakfast". The recipe seemed pretty straight forward so I thought it would be a great first attempt at a casserole dish. Based on my own intuition and some of the reviews of the recipe, I modified the receipe a bit:

Cook time: 50 minutes
Prep time: 20 minutes
Oven temp: 375 degrees

Ingredients:
1 lb sauteed turkey sausage
6 slices texas toast
22 eggs
1 cup whole milk
Black pepper
1 bunch chopped scallions
1 cup sharp cheddar

Preparation:
Preheat oven and place rack in center position
Grease bottom of 13 x 9 dish
Cover bottom of dish in texas toast
Pour off fat from cooked sausage and spread over texas toast

Whisk together eggs, milk, scallions and 1/2 cup cheese in large bowl and pour over sausage/toast. Use a spatula to push down bread and assist with absorbing the eggs.
Cover with remainder of cheese (1/2 cup)

Bake covered with buttered foil for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake for ~20 more minutes until eggs are puffy. If an inserted toothpick comes out clean, it is done.

Enjoy.













The casserole was a big hit with my co-workers and I think everyone genuinely enjoyed my creation. I like making breakfast for work because its cheaper than buying and gives me an opportunity to practice cooking. Although this recipe was not the healthiest, it was hearty and delicious. Next time around I'll be trying to cook something healthy, which isn't always an easy thing to do.

What are some healthy recipes for large groups of people?

1 comment: